Thursday, April 23, 2009

The truth...The whole truth...And nothing but the truth.

I was not going to post today but, I purposely failed to mention something that was discussed at the reception and wanted to throw in my two pennies. I was not sure how I wanted to approach the subject yesterday and as a result felt it best to let the issue marinate for a few more hours.

The subject is borough (County for those that do not habla New York yet) assignments.

It was no surprise to me when the fellows in attendance were informed that 99.99999% of us will be assigned to either The Bronx or Brooklyn. Throughout the entire application process that fact could not have been made any more clear.

The issue is whether the NYCTF told us all the truth when they stated (at the reception) that if we completed the initial acceptance and online survey by 1159pm on Wednesday, April 22, 2009, we would find out our borough assignments by close of business on Friday, April 24 2009.

I am a rather huge proponent of truth and honesty. Those two attributes are very important to myself and something I expect in others. To this point I believe that there is reason to doubt the veracity of any statement made by the NYCTF program as it relates to there own suspense dates.

I will not speak on the issue extensively. Here are two major points of contention.

1. I used due dilligence to complete my initial application by the original due date (as indicated on the NYCTF web site) in early December. I was not all too happy to find out it was extended until sometime in February. Say what you mean and mean what you say. If suspense dates are meaningless then say so from the outset.

2. Rolling admissions and the NYCTF's warped definition of the term. The NYCTF should NEVER use the term rolling admissions again and set a firm acceptance date in late March or early April. Need I say more on the issue?

As a side note...I am never going to speak of a problem without giving a possible solution. People that complain without offering solutions just like to hear themselves speak (in my opinion). My solution is to make a pledge to volunteer to help in coming recruiting years in any capacity that will enable a more streamlined process to future folks. I will be able to say that I was part of a solution.

Based upon the above you can see why I may take exception to the proposed borough assignment date. I also feel that there is a world of difference between misinformation viewed on a computer monitor and when told to my face.

If you lie to my face on pertinent issues like when I can begin seeking employment then when can I ever trust you? When you are misleading on simple issues what is one to think about statements on the complex? In such cases you will have already lost credibility and my respect. This is not a game that we are playing. This is our lives and futures. I am aware that this position may be harsh. My expectations of leaders are very high and so should yours.

So the bar is raised Ms. Guggenheim (as she was the one who passed the information along)...Will you meet and exceed expectations? I guess we will all find out tomorrow.

I am going to begin the online course for special educators today. I will take some notes and give you all my assessments as I move forward...Until then enjoy springtime in NYC or wherever you may find yourself.

Cheers

1 comment:

  1. I concur. My favorite was when they glibly mention responsible "financial planning". As if surviving for four months in NYC sans income is simply a matter of responsibility. I understand that there is risk involved, and am prepared to take on the risk, but the lack of transparency and honesty makes it hard for us to make sounds decisions and properly plan ahead.

    ReplyDelete