Wednesday, April 22, 2009

Bernard and the NYCTF Reception

***Introductory note***
I would like to thank all of you whom have given a few moments to leave comments. I have been attempting to respond but, have been faced with some technical difficulties. Rest assured I will be responding as soon as I figure out what the heck is wrong with my wonderful piece of computer technology. Until then...Stay vigilant my friends!

Digression ended...Back to the matter at hand.

I had the opportunity to enjoy a wonderful spring afternoon in Bryant Park (Located in the heart of midtown Manhattan, behind the New York Public Library's main branch) with one of my oldest friends. Bernard is a musician and composer. I feel that he truly embodies the french phrase "J'ai la musique dans la peau"...literally it means I have music in the skin...so expressive is the french language.

It was an overcast and dreary morning and early afternoon in Gotham. I made the decision to bring my umbrella with me to ward off the rain gods. True to form, by the time I had purchased my over priced corporate coffee and took my seat in the park, the sun was out in all its glory. It really was one of those warm spring moments that New Yorkers wait for all winter.

Bernard and I usually have deeply philosophical conversations about life, relationships, and where we are going in life. This one was no different. Without boring you all with a play by play of our lively discussions and debates I will briefly speak about one aspect of our conversation. The power elites.

In our own circles Bernard and I have interactions with some of the most influential and powerful people in our respective fields. Some of those folks (as people) are better than others but, (for the most part) they share a common bond...They are part of the intergeneraltional wealth club...To be clear... I am far from being a member of this club but, I am fluent observer of life and see how these folks interact with (and feel about) the general population and one other. I do not despise these folks as many of you may think...

On the contrary I think it is great that we live in a country that allows for anybody (regardless of race and gender) to do what ever they want to do with their own lives and amass huge sums of wealth...The American dream is all for the taking...Look at me...My American dream is to become an Educator in New York City...Everybody's American dream is different...What is your dream?

Back to the power elite and the point at hand...I promise that this story does relate to the NYCTF. It will take a few moments to come full circle.

In my humble opinion, the power elites have no business telling me how to live my life as a middle class Joe. I have a general rule...If you cannot tell me how much a gallon of gasoline (regular unleaded of course), a gallon of milk, and a loaf of bread costs, you do not live in my world and as such have no authority to give me any level of life advice. It may be a rather shallow position but, it has worked well for me.

Let us leave Bryant park and fast forward to the NYCTF reception...The High School where the reception was held is located downtown. It sits a stones throw away from the site of the former World Trade Center Towers. The construction zone was quite visible from the some teenth floor cafeteria (where the reception was held). The devastation area to this day is still a shocking site.

There was coffee and cookies to go around and the atmosphere was jovial. The DOE employees there from the NYCTF were all very pleasant, professional, and eager to answer questions. Have you ever been to a TGI Fridays or some other cheesy chain circus restaurant and had a member of the wait staff ask you how your meal was after every bite of your chicken crispers or burger? That is what it felt like with the staff of the NYCTF. Every other moment there was a new face asking how I was and if I had any questions. While I do not like to be disturbed when I eat, I take a different view in a situation like the one I was at with the NYCTF. I was happy to see the DOE folks being forward and proactive. KUDOS TO YOU ALL...WELL DONE.

At 646 the presentations began. We were first introduced to the NYCTF program director Ms. Lesley Guggenheim. Red flags went up in my head immediately...Honestly, my first thought was of an individual who entered into the education management industry as a philanthropic endeavor (or some could say a hobby). It surely would not be the first time I have witnessed such a thing. The Guggenheim family name is kind of a big deal in the art world. If you have never been to the Guggenheim museum in Manhattan, you are missing out on a true artistic treat.

Ms. G came across as an individual excited about the program and told us future fellows how tough things were going to be throughout the coming months...I thought great...a power elite telling me about how life is going to unfold...I could not have been more judgemental...As I sit here now, I could not have been more wrong.

As a lawyer my job is to research and know everything on a particular subject matter. I must know more than the law. I must know who my judge and opponents are in a courtroom. I do research on people to gain an advantage in my arguments. If you know a persons weaknesses and pedigree, you can use that information to help you formulate a winning trial strategy. Great lawyering is both an art and a science.

My very very basic research on Ms. G has proven that my initial impression was based on a false premise. I am always the first to admit when I an wrong and as it stands at the moment I am wrong. My sincere apologies Ms. Guggenheim. If my little information birds are correct...Congratulations and well wishes are in order for your coming big day!

In retrospect, Ms. G did a good job boosting morale and answering questions. She also indicated that the number of accepted fellows this year is a number around 750. An acceptance rate into the program of less than 10%. Congratulations again to my future colleagues.

In regards to jobs...Here is what we must understand...Nobody is going to be waiving a magic wand and granting you a position anywhere! My readers know this already. If you are new to my blog and feel a little lost and confused I will be crystal clear. If you have not yet learned the true meaning of the words "SELF RELIANCE", the NYCTF will be your proving grounds. If folks are not sending Resumes, making initial contacts with schools, going to job fairs and marketing themselves to administrators...well...They shall be left smelling the proverbial behinds of the lead dogs!

New York is a dog eat dog kind of place regardless of career field. You WILL be eaten alive if you are not the fortuitous one. I tell you this not because I want to scare you but, because I love all of my future colleagues. Set yourself up for success!

The second presenter was a former New York County Assistant District Attorney turned educator David Strom...I am not sure if I have his last name correct but, I know it is close. He spoke very well about the program and his two stories about former students were heartfelt and inspiring.

Shortly after 700 the math and science fellows were broken off of the main group and continued their program in another area of the building.

The second part of the evening was details on the special education fellows program. Here is what I learned.

1. The two presenters really enjoy what they do.
2. The level of support you receive at your school may or may not be all that great.
3. You may or may not have a curriculum when you enter the classroom...Be prepared to make it up.
4. Make sure your class knows who is the boss from day one.
5. Make friends with your fellow fellows at your school. they will be your support structure.
6. This career is the best one that I could have decided upon. I cannot wait for the adventure to begin.
7. Positive action yields positive results...Stay positive my friends.

My overall assessment is that the reception falls in the low "A" category...I would improve the reception by the following:

1. Have a handout with information on your speakers. I am the type of person who is always open to criticism and advice. However, I have to know in my mind that the presenter, instructor or mentor has the background, authority (moral or otherwise) and knowledge to provide information and feedback.

2. Break the groups down even further. It seems to me that there was enough staff to break the group down into 10-12 person sections as opposed to having all the Special Education Fellows in one area. It would have provided a better opportunity to meet some folks and not have to deal with the poor acoustics of the cafeteria.

3. On the funny side...NEVER run out of regular coffee...Decaffeinated while tasting like the real thing does not pack the same punch...I guess we cannot have it all :)

I am glad that I attended. The Meeting was a great starting point and I look forward to my next interactions with my future colleagues and the NYCTF.

Cheers!

2 comments:

  1. Thank you so much for your post about the reception. I am relocating to NYC in early May and appreciated your feedback. I really enjoy reading your blog and look forward to future posts.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for your post. I too, was just accepted to NYCTF in the science immersion program. I gained a lot of insight from your writing, and am looking forward to following it throughout our journey.

    I am also planning on blogging about my experience as a first year teacher with NYCTF. I will send you the link, when it is up and running.

    Thanks and good luck!!!!

    sarah

    ReplyDelete