Saturday, April 25, 2009

No...Sleep...Till Brooklyn.

I commend the NYCTF for Hitting The mark on Friday. Borough assignments did indeed go out as advertised at the NYCTF reception last week.

I have been selected for D75 in Brooklyn. The placement is exactly what I was anticipating. No complaints here.

University assignments were not included in the notification.

More hoops were added to my checklist to include the report of test scores and finger prints. There were also two mandatory fun online seminars (save workshop and mandated reporter workshop) on the check list.

I have really not spent much time scrutinizing all of the new information...It is 88 degrees in Manhattan right now and have been enjoying my life. Thus far my day has consisted of going to the dog park with Beauregard (my St. Bernard), rollerblading, volleyball, and the consumption of some adult alcoholic beverage. A day well spent if you ask me.

Those of you who are going to be moving to New York City for the first time are in for the ride of your lives. Enjoy every minute of the experience. I shall extrapolate on that thought later on my friends.

I am off to meet up with Bernard (a friend I have discussed earlier) for some over priced corporate iced coffee. I suspect that I will be off the radar until Monday (I am heading to the beach tomorrow) so I am hopeful that you all have a great rest of the weekend.

Monday, I plan on discussing the online Special Education course and my plan of attack for finding the best placement in my new profession. Until then...

Cheers

2 comments:

  1. Sounds like you have been placed in District 75 which means the entire school population is Special Needs. For a person of your standard this could be an ideal match up and has the potential for you to learn quickly from your experienced peers.

    From my experience, Special Education classes in non-District 75 schools sometimes have a mix of emotionally (mostly anger) and/or learning disabled students where the solutions do not seem so clear for each case. Compare that to D75 schools where the students' needs are clearly diagnosed and solutions well-researched with progressive techniques.

    As my colleague likes to say, "There are places reserved in heaven for Special Ed teachers".

    M

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ah...District 75. I almost requested Brooklyn, but somehow leaned towards the Bronx. People have described the Bronx as "artsy", "scary", a "a war zone" to simply "working class."

    I LOVED the Special Ed course online. I haven't had time this weekend to do the other two courses, so I anxiously await that experience.

    I hope you had fun at the beach. Last I checked it was 75 degrees at around 9:30pm in Houston. I realize the summers in NYC can be unbearable, but I think I'm correct in my belief that the cooler days outnumber the rest.

    ReplyDelete