Monday, April 20, 2009

Jumping through hoops

My tenure at a well respected NYC law firm shall end effective 1 May 2009. Resignation tendered.

I was called by a NYCTF colleague (from Los Angeles) today and we discussed the myriad tasks that are required to be completed prior to the 15th of June and the first day of the 2009-2010 school year. I said that I was looking at each of the items of the tasking list as nothing more than circus hoops.

Collectively the tasks can appear to be somewhat daunting. You have a recipe for some level of panic when one coalesces the tasks with the stress of moving to a new city.

Fear not!

Remember that the circus tigers do not jump through all 20 hoops at the same time. They jump through them one by one. I advised my friend do the same.

I told my friend That the military uses suspense dates and backwards planning in many aspects of its operational planning system.

In essence you :
1. Take a due/suspense date
2. Go backwards in time and set targeted goals
3. Meet the targeted goals
4. Set yourself up for success

On a side note...This year 1/3 of all cohort members will be fresh out of the college dorms. I remember being an undergraduate many moons ago and know the poor organizational habit of waiting until the last minute to finish a given task or paper. I also know that poor organizational habits are not exclusive to college students. I often observe poorly organized attorneys running to the court house to file papers moments before the clerks office is to close. Indeed persons with poor organizational skills are all around us.

Anyway...I told my friend (in sum and substance)that (s)he needs to set all the hoops up now in advance of the jump time. Be proactive and know that when it is time to jump you will be well prepared.

I am off to the Accepted Applicant Reception shindig tomorrow from 630 to 800. I will take good mental notes and report back. I reckon that it will be a 90 min cheer leading session. Which I think is fine right now. The hammer drops in about 50 days and we will all be running and jumping through rings of fire.

Cheers all

1 comment:

  1. As a NYC teacher I want to say that I wish every new Fellow could have a clear mindset as you! You seem to truly understand the mission here and I wish you a great adventure!

    A child who loses a year of learning because his/her teacher didn't understand the goal can NEVER can claim that year back.

    Congratulations!

    M

    ReplyDelete