Thursday, May 14, 2009

Logic...Double Hooks Style!

I would like to thank thirdgenerationteacher.com and Mystery "M" for their groovy comments. You both give me some rather great points to ponder. One day in the future I hope to buy each of you a round at some local watering hole.

I am very thankful that people can critique without making personal attacks. I believe critiques help me become a better person and ultimately a better teacher. My positions on the observation program and assumptions on turnover rates have recently been challenged by a friend from cohort 17.
My fellow fellow stated that :

"The point (of the observation program)was to see effective schools with good special education programs. You can't replicate what you've never seen."

+ I added the parenthesis for clarification +

I would like to say that I did see very good schools with very good programs during the observation. The fellows and administrators in each of the schools worked very hard to assure an excellent experience. It was truly a job well done. I take nothing away from their efforts.

The logic behind my thoughts focuses on the results of the experience.

Based on the observation I could (though I do not) come away with the belief that all students are well behaved, hard working, and really want to be in class. Likewise, I could come away with the feeling that all educators are high speed and low drag.

Now fast forward a new fellow's first day of class in a High Needs classified school. You have a recipe for disaster when one takes previously instilled faulty beliefs and coalesce them with the realities of many High Needs schools.

Observing and Teaching during summer school is no substitute from observing the proverbial real deal.

Additionally, I have no desire to replicate a doggone thing when I enter the classroom. Will I take advice and adopt good practices from my colleagues. You Bet! But, everything has to go through the Double Hooks filter and become something specifically mine.

To say that I should replicate what I saw during the observation is to say there is a one size fits all approach to teaching every single Special Education student population. I do not ascribe to such a belief.

In all honesty I do not really think my friend in cohort 17 ascribes to such a belief either. I am most likely looking too deeply into cohort 17's words...If I am...Sorry...I am always the first to admit when I make an error.

My friend from cohort 17 went on to say:

"I also don't know why you speculate that people will drop so quickly. As for the bad schools, which one's have you visited?"

Laws of averages and to a certain extent Darwinian philosophy leads me to an assumption that there will indeed be people who will quit the program (for whatever reason) in late September into early October. I believe an immediate turnover of 1.5% is conservative.

I know that I could inquire the actual rates from the NYCTF or file a Freedom of Information request...However, I am fairly certain that I am in the ball park.

I think those folks in the 1.5% should be scared off before day one...I think a week long observation *during the academic year* in some of the Highest Needs Schools in the city would naturally weed out the dead weight and save valuable financial resources.

Let us do some math based on a 1000 person cohort:

1.5% = 15 folks

summer stipend @ $2500 per person
$37,500

Pace University Tuition: 12 total credits @ $763 per credit (includes 2 summer and 2 fall classes)
$137,340

1.5 months of salary on a 10 month period based on $45,000
$101,250


My estimated total spent on folks who will leave by mid October
$276,090

I think the value is really closer to $300,000. A huge waste of limited resources.

Turnover is indeed a natural part of a program like the NYCTF... The goal should be to minimize turnover by making sure that only the truly dedicated are admitted to the big dance.

As to what schools I have had contact with in the past days and weeks....I will tell you at the watering hole with some adult alcoholic beverages in hand!

Cheers

2 comments:

  1. I'm wondering if DH should be in the Math Immersion program? With such logic, one can calculate real life odds and consequences with urban children. When you ask some of my 8/9 year old students (boys) what they want to do "when they grow up", a common reply is "be in the NBA". Without bursting a child's dream, using this kind of mathematical logic could convince them of an alternative plan should they not be scouted by the NBA.

    One of the ways to develop professionally is to create a journal/log of your experiences and questions as you confront the issues. Your thoughtful postings deem you a 'reflective practitioner'. I am certain you will learn and adopt best practices even more quickly as you reflect. You are insightful in recognizing that the goal of teaching is not to replicate, but to find what works best for each student. What works for one student may not for another. And by the same token what works for one teacher, may not for another. It's also a magical mix of personal chemistry with students, demeanor one exudes, voice projected, expectations stated and other aspects in the mix. A talented teacher could convince a newer teacher that the profession is easy when there was a lot of routine, expectations, and rules that had been established and built up from day one.

    As for that round to be bought at a local watering hole, I'd prefer an hour at the park with your dog, Beauregard. Using your logic above, there's more value considering I don't have a pet at this time and assuming you'd entrust a stranger with your beloved canine.

    M

    ReplyDelete
  2. Double Hooks, it was great meeting you during the observation program. The more I think about it, the more I agree with your perspective of the observation's effectiveness. There was not the range of schools/students that I'd expected to see. It left me wanting a lot more.

    I myself have been setting up visits at other schools to see a wider range of students, administrative methods and teachers. It's been helpful! I've even gone on a school trip with four teachers and a bunch of students that I got to interact with and help teach and supervise during the trip (although that wasn't in the plan!)

    It was a great day and I'm hoping that the teachers who offered to let me come in and "observe" some more will offer me the chance to do a little more with the students when I get there.

    ReplyDelete